Collect a full name as separate elements of data
When to use a name form
- You need separate data elements. When you need to collect users’ full names and store the parts separately in a database.
When to consider something else
- You don’t need separate data elements. If you don’t need to parse out the separate pieces of a person’s name, consider letting them enter it into a single text field.
- Avoid dropdowns. Leave the title and suffix fields as text boxes instead of offering dropdowns. There are many possible titles and suffixes; text boxes accommodate them all.
- Don’t restrict characters. Do not restrict the types of characters users can enter in any of these fields. Names can include characters outside the standard Roman alphabet.
- Customize accessibly. As you customize this form template, ensure it continues to follow the accessibility guidelines for form templates and the accessibility guidelines for form controls.