Orient users to a site with lots of sections.
An extended header allows for the inclusion of more sections in a horizontal navigation. You can customize the header (depending on your site structure) and use it:
- With a text or image logo
- With or without dropdown menus
- With or without the expandable search bar
- With or without call-to-action buttons in place of the secondary links featured in your horizontal navigation
When to use the extended header
- Lots of sections. Use the extended header if you have too many sections in your horizontal navigation to fit comfortably in the basic header format.
- Secondary links or specific calls to action. Use the extended header if you’d like to include secondary links or specific calls to action in addition to the main content navigation — for example
When to consider something else
- Simple site needs. Consider using the basic header if you have less information — the basic header takes up less space.