Orient users to a site with lots of sections.
The extended header allows for inclusion of more sections in the horizontal navigation. You can customize the header (depending on your site structure) and use it:
- With a text or image logo
- With or without dropdown menus
- With or without the expandable search bar
- With or without call-to-action buttons in place of the secondary links featured in your horizontal navigation
When to use the extended header
- Lots of sections. Use the extended header if you have too many sections in your horizontal navigation to fit comfortably in the basic header format.
- Secondary links or specific calls to action. Use the extended header if you’d like to include secondary links or specific calls to action in addition to the main content navigation — for example
When to consider something else
- Simple site needs. Consider using the basic header if you have less information — the basic header takes up less space.
Using the extended header