Collect a full name as separate elements of data.
When to use the name form template
- You need separate data elements. Follow this pattern when you need to ask for a user’s name as part of your service. Only ask for a name if you need it.
When to consider something else
- You don’t need separate data elements. If you don’t need to parse out the separate pieces of a person’s name, consider letting them enter it into a single text field.
- Label each field. Be sure each field is properly labeled.
- Avoid select elements. Leave the title and suffix fields as text boxes instead of offering select menus. There are many possible titles and suffixes; text boxes accommodate them all.
- Don’t restrict characters. Do not restrict the types of characters users can enter in any of these fields. Names can include characters outside the standard Roman alphabet.
- Follow input guidance. These text fields should follow the accessibility guidelines for all text inputs.
- Customization. As you customize, make sure you follow accessibility guidelines for form templates and the accessibility guidelines for form controls.